The neo-renaissance style building was built in 1871 to plans by Georg von Dollmann. It was initially called the General Post Office Building and Royal Telegraph Central Station, and subsequently the Imperial Post and Telegraph Office. In 1949 it was damaged, but then rebuilt true to the original plans.
In the meantime, the building at Bahnhofplatz 1 has housed mainly office space, as well as a supermarket, a post office and a bank branch.
Considerations for its conversion to a hotel began at an early stage and were completed in 2015. While maintaining the business operations of the retail users, the former post office building was completely gutted, right down to the shell. Its structure was then extensively upgraded and the building was converted to create a design hotel of the 25hours brand, with 165 guest rooms. The story of the building and its location is retold informally in the design and with a twinkle in the eye.
- Architects: O S A Ochs Schmidhuber Architekten GmbH
- Interior Design: Dreimeta GmbH & Co.KG
- Technical Services: Ingenieurbüro Lesh
Credits: Nelly Rezkalla, Oliver Fuchs, Ronald Hetzke